In this blog post i will show you all of my work from Term 2 Week 1
Promoting Indie Games
In this report I will be researching and analysing the different types of ways that you could promote your own indie games basically free of charge (financially) and which of the 5 is the best to promote your game so it gets some sort of fan base.
My five social media platforms
Usage, Popularity, Demographics and Reach
- The popularity of YouTube is very high because most people have used it at least once in their life, so this shows that there is billions of users and about one third of the internet uses it.
- Also the demographic of YouTube is very wide it reaches more 18-34 year olds and 18-49 year olds than any other cable network in the U.S alone.
- YouTube also has a very wide reach so almost everyone on the planet can access it, this is because YouTube has launched local versions of the site in more than 88 countries.
Also you can view YouTube in 76 different languages.
- Facebook is definitely the most popular social media site on the internet with an average of 1.79 billion users on a monthly basis, also there is an average of 8 billion video views each day on Facebook.
- The demographic of Facebook is around 91 percent of 15-34 year old with older people making up the rest of that. And Facebook is available in most parts of the world like America and Europe and many other countries in the world.
- Reach is not a problem for Facebook as pretty much everyone in countries which have access to it will have one after the age of 13.
- Instagram is not as popular as the previous 2 but it is on the rise after being bought by Facebook, and has an average 600 million users every month with an average follower growth every month by about 16 percent.
- The average Instagram user is 35 years old or younger, 20 percent of the users from the U.S and the other 80 percent are outside of the U.S.
- Reach is not a problem for Instagram because it is owned by Facebook so it can go to all of the people that use Facebook if they wish to download it.
- WordPress is a social media with lots of people on it which are all trying to get their own ideas out into the world just like you and 2 million people have downloaded.
- The demographic of WordPress is available to a lot of different countries but is mainly used in Europe to write blogs and show creative ideas and also look at other people ideas.
- Reach WordPress can reach a lot of people so you can easily show your ideas on you game to lots of different people around the world.
- Twitter is also one of the most popular because there is a registered 1.3 billion active users and 120 million active users on desktop and mobile phones and 67 million twitter users in the U.S
- Demographic is really any age or gender because there is not one thing that you have to do on there you can talk about what you want to other people that are interested in the same thing as you.
- Reach is very wide on Twitter because there is almost every country in the world that can download it and even in countries that it is blocked in like china there is still 10 million active users from there.
Pros and Cons of each social media platform
- Easy to setup an account and use
- Easy to upload videos
- It is free to create and account
- You can get feedback by likes and dislikes
- You can also get feedback from comments
- More subs and views you get will make you game more popular.
- It is hard to grow a YouTube channel quickly it takes a lot of time and effort.
- You have to post frequent videos or you may lose subs.
- It is easy to advertise your game to a lot of people on the site even if they are not your friends.
- You can set up a page for your game that you are advertising and keep on getting people to join.
- You can easily talk to people over the messenger app that is connected with Facebook.
- Privacy is a problem but if you do not upload anything private on to it you will not be at risk.
- It is time consuming just like YouTube in the way that it takes a lot of time to get noticed and to start growing a fan base.
- Everyone can view your profile even if they are not your friend if you have your settings allow them and this will bring in more potential viewers.
- You can easily put lots of tags on your post so you can show up in a lot of people’s feeds so your account will get noticed.
- There is some cons about Instagram but none of them would effect a games developer and what they post.
- WordPress is just like Instagram but you can write as much as you want and you can post as much photos as you want in a blog post.
- You can easily show people your ideas and concepts for your game and also see there blogs in return.
- WordPress is god but it is really hard to get you blog out into the world for people to see it just like YouTube.
- It is very easy to use.
- You can quickly get out new news on you game.
- It is easy to connect to other people.
- You can use it to self-promote just as you want to do.
- There is a limited text space of only 140 characters so you do not have a lot of space to explain a lot of different details.
- Your post can easily get buried because there is so much people posting all of the time.
In conclusion I think that YouTube would be the best source of social media to use to promote our game because it might take some time to get some views and subscribers but it is the easiest to use and the most reliable for feedback becuse there is a like and dislike bar which show you if a person liked or disliked what they where seeing also there is a comment section in which people could leave a comment on what they think about the game.
Also you can use it to take videos of your game so you could show people in the easiest way possible and use it to advertise on the site if you use some of money.
All of my links to sites that I used for research
Synopsis of our game
Our game is going to be based in the ear of world war one and the main charater is going to be Marie Curie and the story will be her trying to deliver medical and x rays to the front lines of the battlefield but over time she will die becuse the x rays will give her to much radioactivity.
Creating pixel art
Referance images for harry and dumbledore-
To create my first pixel art i had to find reference images to see what features and what the person i am recreating looks like so my pixel art looks as close to the real life character as possible in 16×16 pixel art. So the second step to start creating my pixel art was opening Photoshop and making a new project and creating an image canvas so it was only 16 by 16 pixels.
When that was finished and it was created i painted the background layer in light grey so when i made the pixel art character i would be able to se the grid more clearly, Therfore making it alot easier fot me to create. When very thing was setup right i used the pencil tool and made it only one pixel small so i could only paint one pixel every time i used it.
I made a shape in a dark gey colour so i could get a good outline to see what shap my character would be so when i actually use the colours that i want it will look some what like the actual person that i am recreating, when i have made all of the colours in the right places i made dark parts on certain parts of the body so it looked like shadows and lighter shades of the colours so i could make it look like there was some parts of the body where light was shining on it.
After all of that was complete i had finished my first pixel art , than i created a second one.
Reflection of work undertaken in the week
This week i learned about lots of differnt types of social media platforms that i could use to promote our game, also i learnd how to make my first pixel art caracter.